1. Home

End of "American Artist" Magazine

By October 24, 2012

American Artist magazine has ceased publication after 75 years, announced on its Facebook page on 17 October 2012 with words:
"We are no longer publishing American Artist, and we're so sad to see it go!"
F+W Media bought Interweave, which published American Artist, at the end of July. The magazine has "joined forces" with The Artist's Magazine (the USA one, not the UK one with the similar name), which existing subscribers will get instead (any queries should be directed to the magazine's customer services department). A source told me 45 employees (a quarter of the company) have been laid off. Sad news all round. Every magazine has its own personality and approach, and who doesn't enjoy reading a whole pile?

I'm obviously now need to update my Best Art Magazines list, and am left wondering if there are any other how-to art magazines publishers in the USA? What else am I missing from my list? I know there's a watercolor magazine published in France (in English) I want to add. If you know of any, do post a comment below to let me know or email me.

Comments

October 25, 2012 at 8:12 am
(1) Anne says:

How about adding “Watercolor Artist” to your list. This is a wonderful magazine with information not only about individual artists, but how-to instruction as well. An excellent magazine for watercolorist.
Also, “Palette” magazine, this is available through Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff.

October 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm
(2) O'Brien says:

Artists on Art
This is an online-only magazine, and it is excellent.

Plein Air Magazine
Also an excellent magazine available in print and online.

November 8, 2012 at 9:25 am
(3) Don't Forget says:

Colored Pencil Magazine is a new fine art magazine found at the F+W website.

January 1, 2013 at 1:54 pm
(4) Teresa Mayfield says:

Would anyone be interested in Amer. Artist Mags dating back to 1959?

January 3, 2013 at 10:57 am
(5) About.com Guide to Painting says:

@Teresa Are you offering for cost of postage, or are you trying to sell them?

April 11, 2013 at 7:31 am
(6) Lynne says:

Also love PleinAir Magazine, beautiful publication. I still like to have the print copy!

April 28, 2013 at 8:12 pm
(7) Roopa says:

My favorite maginzine for the past 3 years has been THE PROFESSIONAL ARTIST Magazine. It has amazing articles which help me grow as an artist, it has Art News as well as a section for Art Galleries in different states looking for Artworks to exhibt. I look forward in getting that magazine each month.

May 3, 2013 at 6:03 pm
(8) Richard Hoover, Sr. says:

HANG – UP ON ANY CALL TO RENEW AMERICAN ARTIST MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION!

My wife loved the American Artist Magazine, and subscribed for over two decades. Sadly, she passed away in 2009. I allowed her last subscription to expire 0n Aug. 1, 2009.

However, I have been HARANGUED by many phone calls requesting that my wife renew her subscription. The caller says that they work for American Artist Magazine, (by the way, I just now found out that this magazine stopped publishing on 17 Oct. 2012).

I ask each caller to please make sure that we are removed from their call list. The last one, (#14), said he would do so, . . . IF I WOULD DONATE $200 TO THE CHARITY HE WAS SUPPORTING.

August 1, 2013 at 11:18 am
(9) Bob Bickers says:

Just heard about the passing of American Artist Magazine. I collected every single issue between 1983 and 2005. It will be sorely missed.

I have always enjoyed Southwest Art Magazine, Art of the West, Fine Art Connoisseur, Western art Collector, and American Art Collector in addition to Plein Air Magazine, although I have had to be more selective about particular issues due to the rising costs of all this printed material (sigh). This is one of the reasons I no longer subscribed to American Artist and that probably contributed to its demise. I am so sorry…

August 31, 2013 at 10:47 pm
(10) C Smith says:

I have American Artist magazines dating back to 1979. May think of selling, but not sure yet.

September 7, 2013 at 1:05 am
(11) michael Grayson says:

bob you ever want to get rid of them. i work at http://www.idahoartlab.org and id take them. i found 1970-1980. now id like to find the newer ones.

October 29, 2013 at 11:14 am
(12) Bob Bickers says:

Thanks Mike, but I think I will want to peruse my old friends for a while before I send them off into another’s arms…

January 30, 2014 at 5:52 am
(13) Fergus Ryan says:

As airline cockpit crew I used to look forward to picking up my American Artist magazine subscription in New York for 20 years. Rather belatedly realising it’s stopped publication.

For the last few years I’ve been enjoying the larger format ‘INTERNATIONAL ARTIST’ magazine, published in Australia, and while inclusive of the best of American art, is much more inclusive of the work of artists internationally that AA was.